Motor Vehicles

Motor vehicle licensing is the most widely used service of the Robertson County Clerk’s office. When renewing your registration in our office, please bring your previous registration and proof of insurance. To renew in person please visit us at our office:

Robertson County Clerk
26 Court Street
Mt. Olivet, KY 41064

If you prefer more convenient options you can renew your registration by:

Online: You can renew your registration online through the Kentucky Motor Vehicle Licensing System. Visit their website to get started. RENEW NOW.
You will receive your completed renewal by mail in 3 – 5 business days.

Our Mail-In Service: A $2.00 fee is added to cover postage and handling. Send registration certificate, current KY insurance card, and payment (plus a $2.00 mail-in fee) to:

Robertson County Clerk
PO Box 75Mt. Olivet, KY 41064.
You will receive your completed renewal by mail in 3 – 5 business days.

When renewing your motor vehicle remember these important items:

  • Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance is required for all vehicles.
  • You may also provide the current registration and/or renewal notice received in the mail
  • All titling transactions require odometer disclosure.
  • Kentucky law requires a person purchasing a vehicle or moving an out-of-state vehicle into Kentucky to make application for title within 15 days.
  • Vehicles coming from another state must have a Vehicle Identification Number inspection before titling in Kentucky.
  • Motor vehicle license plates are renewed in the owners birth month with the exception of  personalized and specialty plates
  • Special Plates are available for additional fees. Click here to see our special plates.

Motor Boat Renewals

All Motor Boat registrations are due by the end of April. To renew your registration in our office, please bring your previous registration and payment. You can also renew by mail: Mail your unexpired registration, and check to

Robertson County Clerk
P.O. Box 75
Mt. Olivet, KY 41064

Include and additional $2.00 for postage and handling. MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS IS CORRECT. THIS IS WHERE YOUR REGISTRATION WILL BE MAILED. There is no option at this time to renew motor boats online.

Motor Boat: You must have a valid title or certificate of origin to transfer motor boats. Additionally, you need a Motor Boat Transaction Record Application for Title/ Registration (BTR form TC96-184). This for can be downloaded [HERE] or picked up in the county clerk’s office. No proof of insurance is required for watercraft transfers. All signatures must be notarized.

BUYER BEWARE! – TITLE AND SERIAL NUMBER CHECK Before purchasing any motor vehicle, make certain that the current owner can provide a valid title for the vehicle. Be sure to verify that the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) matches the number reflected on the title. This number is typically located on the dashboard on the driver’s side and is usually visible through the windshield. If these numbers do not match, insist that the discrepancy be corrected or do not complete the transaction.